Thursday, October 7, 2010

On Blood Dazzler

I wonder when Smith will release the sequal?

Blood Dazzler was interesting and very disturbing. I already knew that hurricane Katrina was devastating, or rather the incompetence of our government was devastating. I kept reading and reading, but a few things I just couldn't get out of my head.
First, "Man on the tv say" effected me most. I haven't been able to think about anything else for days, and even while reading I kept waiting for something to trump this poem, but it never happened. This poem really speaks about the people of New Orleans. They were told to just get out, and even the ones that could afford to leave, where were they to go? And how many thousands more had no means of escape, no transportation, no money. And then this says something about race and social classes. How the people living in these hopeless situations had no means of savings themselves, living in poverty, and although it was the government's responsibility to take action, they hesitated far to long. It's just an example of one of the most horrible injustices a government can do to its people. This is the United States of America, one of the richest countries on Earth, it's not the third world. And when a goverment with this type of power just turns a blind eye to the poor and struggling (largely black) population of New Orleans (over and over again), it's a disgrace. What really captured my attention in this poem, was the speaker recognizing that even though he/she was capable of getting out and leaving everything behind, what else was there? "Go. Uh-huh. Like our bodies got wheels and gas, like at the end of that running there's an open door with dry and song inside."
Another disturbing image was of Luther B. I can't even begin to express my horror and disgust that this dog  (fictional or not) was just left to ride out a hurricane while tied to a tree. Of course he's going to die. He probably would've faired much better being let lose. 
I found a quote to be particularly enraging in "Thankful." Barbara Bush: "What I'm hearing is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality...And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivelaged anyway, so this-this is working very well for them." I'm sure that's what you want Barb, a bunch of black vagabonds bringing down the property values in your beloved state.  Did she miss the overcrowding, the screaming children, the emotional disturbance of every displaced victim? And they're all just thrilled to be in Texas, happy as can be? They were already underprivaleged, so they're used to this type of situation? I'm sure they wouldn't mind just living in the Houston arena forever! They can just be your pets, and you can stop by to feed them every once in while., show them your great Texan hospitality. Maybe even a few chainsaws.
One thing I kept noticing in Blood Dazzler was the frequent use of the word "silver." I'm not sure what the significance is though. I the repetition of silver supposed to represent the water? Or the color of the sky during the storm? The color of the lifeless bodies discovered in the aftermath that were sitting for days and weeks? "Spine of silver...", "conjure of mirrored silver...", "silver holes in my body...", "she's one of the silver's citizens...", and etcetera. I guess this could be said for many other colors and visual sensations, like glitter or mirrors which I noticed a few times as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment